Thursday, January 17, 2008

(Photo: Authors own)

It is with trepidation that I make a short comment on my recent trip to Rome. More specifically a visit to Dio Padre Misericordioso, in Tor Tre Teste, by Richard Meier.

My comment on the church mainly extends to its safety for the elderly and those who don't where suction pads on there feet. On this bleak cloudy day, with angry working class apartment blocks glowering over me, the church appears like a vision in white. Aptly the rain lends itself to the ship analogy, wet slick marble surrounds the church. I try to navigate my way over the water; how hard can this be. Well in very few words, extremely difficult.

Dear architects beware of the pitfalls of marble. Contextually it makes complete sense; but after a near fall it seems rather near sited, just like the parishioners of this church.

No comments:

Dio Padre Misericordioso, designed by Richard Meier & Partners.

Dio Padre Misericordioso, designed by Richard Meier & Partners.
Slipping into the new millenium ( Photo: Authors own)